Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?

2014/12/12 23:30 <berenger.morel@neutralite.org>:
> Le 12.12.2014 14:55, Joel Rees a écrit :
>> 2014/12/12 21:08 :
>>  > Le 12.12.2014 13:05, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
>>  >> On Jo, 11 dec 14, 17:33:51, berenger.morel@neutralite.org [2]
>> wrote:
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Plus, it's not portable
>>  >>> (anyone have seen dbus on windows? not sure, but I doubt it's on
>> *BSD, too)
>>  >>> unlike sockets.
>>  >>
>>  >> From http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus/ [3]
>>  >>
>>  >>     D-Bus is very portable to any Linux or UNIX flavor, and a
>> port to
>>  >>     Windows is in progress.

Well, yeah, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

>>  >> Kind regards,
>>  >> Andrei
>>  >
>>  > Nice to learn about that, and sorry for wrong assumption.
>>  > Does someone use it on a non-linux based computer? Any experience
>> about that would be appreciated.
>>  >
>> FWIW, openbsd has an implementation of a "dbus" daemon just for the
>> dbus dependent apps to talk to.
>>
>> It's not the dbus that you download from freedesktop.org [4], of
>> course.
>
> So I was wrong. Good to know :)

I did say it was not the dbus you download from freedesktop.org, didn't I? ;-/

My understanding is that it is not just a port. Re-written from scratch, I think. Stuff that just tries to be a lazy man's sockets largely left out, I think.

I would not say that you were exactly wrong. Portability is not just a matter of getting things to compile, and there are some features of dbus that one would just as soon leave out when re-implementing it.