Re: How is typical home computer used today?

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 09.12.2014 17:49, Marty a écrit :
As for what is growing, cloud computing, so they can look at our data
and keep us safe.

Cloud computing was here before the buzz-word. Cloud computing is composed by:
_ mail server + web MUA
_ FTP server + web interface
_ wtf server + wtf web interface

The "cloud computing" is just, imho, putting in one word what the centralized internet is. Something like this "goold ol'minitel".

Well..... sort of, but not really.

There are clear distinctions between:
- classic time sharing (one machine, many users)
- client-server (centralized machine, but identifiable)
- pure server-to-server stuff (e.g., MTA-MTA, database transactions, etc.)
- "computing dialtone" (an old term, but a goodie) - "plug in your terminal and it's all just there" - that's kind of Minitel, and today's "cloud"

The thing that's changed is the advent of virtual machines, cloud stacks, and services that don't directly correlate to physical machines (distributed file systems, load-leveled services, etc.) -- where data and processing really are "just out there in the cloud somewhere".

The problem is, all that stuff is incredibly brittle, controlled by others, and when it breaks, it breaks hard.

Personally, I'll stick with doing everything as locally as possible, with replication and synchronization of copies, rather than relying on "the cloud." I'm with the library community, where the term of art is LOCKSS - Lots of Copies Keeps Stuff Safe.

Cheers,

Miles Fidelman