Re: How is typical home computer used today?

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Vi, 12 dec 14, 12:41:38, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Oh, sorry, I just forgot that... linux is not desktop ready, right :) (day
of troll here ;) ) but more seriously, currently, the apt/rpm/etc idea is
being adopted by other desktop systems, the ones which have users saying
that installing something on linux is too hard.
I subscribe to what Linus said at Debconf 14 (the video is on Youtube):
the "competition" on the desktop is decided by pre-installs.

Well, unless he's talking about operating systems, that would be wrong. Generally, folks pick Mac or Windows, and, at least for Window, then you uninstall all the crap. Then you install cross platform apps (office suite, games, ...). If someone absolutely, positively needs an app that only runs on one platform or the other, that's an issue. What you use at work might also be an influence.

Desktop competition is probably more about form factor (laptop or real desktop), and power (gamer machine vs. student/office vs. minimal).

Miles Fidelman