Re: How is typical home computer used today?

On 11/12/2014, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2014 07:22:07 Bret Busby wrote:
>> Hence, is the term, in the context that it has been otherwise used in
>> this thread, to refer instead, to multi-user computers, not a
>> malapropism?
>
> The original term may or may not have been a malapropism.  Let us not get
> into
> that.  But it is none-the-less a valid term with an accepted meaning.
>
> You presumably don't want me to call you an idiot?  Why not?  Because the
> accpeted meaning in modern English is not very polite.  It isn't what the
> word means in its orifins.  But it is the accepted meaning.
>
> But this is becoming off-topic and semantic.  If it is to continue we had
> better go off-list.
>
> Lisi

I think that I have said pretty much, all that I have to say, about
the usage of the term.

In terms of the "on-topic" and "off-topic" aspect, I believe that the
original question, was off-topic for the list, and, the original
poster in the thread, should have worded the question, so that what
exactly he was seeking, and, to excatly what he was referring, was
clear.

But, as always, others may disagree.

--
Bret Busby