Re: How is typical home computer used today?

On 11/12/2014, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2014 06:17:39 Bret Busby wrote:
>> And, with all of the definitions and contentions that people have, is
>> a gateway/firewall server, as a single point of access to the
>> Internet, and, also, as a separate device, a modem/router, that allows
>> four connections from behind it, which modem router includes a
>> coinfigurable firewall, and other configurable settings, not, by the
>> various definitions given, qualified to be regarded as a "Multi-seat
>> PC"?
>
> No, because mulit-seta refers ot multiple people not multiple functions.

And, so did my exaples, refer to computers that service multiple
people, rather than being multi-functional;

"
 a gateway/firewall server, as a single point of access to the Internet
"

which, inherently, is a computer to which many people can connect,
and, use its functionality, simultaneously

"
a modem/router, that allows four connections from behind it
"

thence, a device, that, through its funtionality, constitutes a
computer, does it not, and, which, through its four sockets, includes
provision for four connections; thence, four separate computers, or,
four separate LANs, and, their inherent users, making it a computer
that can service multiple people, simultaneously.

Thus, do these two (and, I gave only two, but, many more exist)
examples meet the definition given, of "multi-seat".

As do also, the toy computers (which have been acknowledged, on
occasion, as being the most powerful computers to generally be found
in homes), such as nintendo 64's, and Wii systems, that provide
multi-user funbctionality.

> Bret, it is an acknowledged term.  The fact that you do not know it, does
> not
> in any way invalidate it.  There are many things that I don't know.  That
> does not invalidate them.

I make the point that the term is a malapropism. Not that it is
invalid. A car central computer, which performs functions like heating
the seats, and, determining which seats are occupied, to illuminate
"seatbelt not fastened on seat <position indicator>", are "multi-seat
computers" ; computers that do not include, provide, or, service,
seating, or, otherwise, interface directly, with the things upon which
people sit, are, surely not correctly to be named, "multi-seat
computers", are they?

Hence, is the term, in the context that it has been otherwise used in
this thread, to refer instead, to multi-user computers, not a
malapropism?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale