Re: [minor bitch] about the panel (taskbar) LXDE

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Ma, 09 dec 14, 11:05:23, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> Further, some indicators still show the regular icon.  One I notice is
>> iceweasel.
>>
>> I'd like the old behavior back but have no idea how to start digging
>> into it.
>
> I'm guessing the icon is set by the application, in this case your
> terminal emulator, not the panel. As far as I recall I was already using
> rxvt-unicode when I switched to LXDE and never saw vim's icon in the
> taskbar when running it under rxvt.

I may be remembering gvim... I do run gvim from time to time.  And I
nearly always use real Thomas Dickie Xterm rather the various desktop
wannabees.

> Were there any recent changes related to your terminal emulator?

Well, the changed involved in with `full-upgrades'.  Which I've
probably done at least twice in last month, but I'm pretty sure the
situation I see is older than that... I did mention that it might have
been going on for several months already.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Running jessie
>>     Using an lxde desktop... for a long time now
>>
>> (Note: for lack of a fuller vocabulary, the word icon is used to cover
>> a few different things below:)
>>
>> (Attached at bottom is a screen grab showing what I'm talking about)
>
> <snip>
>
> Running uptodate sid with lxde.
> I see none of the behaviour you are describing.

Can you post a screen grab of the task panel with several things running?

Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 11:05 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Some mnths ago (not sure how many) the icons (running program
>> indicators) that appear in the bottom (taskbar like ) panel changed
>> from showing icons of the running program such as the emacs icon,
>> xterm icon, vim icon etc. to just showing a generic icon and text,
>> making it hard to identify witch icon is which program quickly.
>
> I started getting the same problem at a similar time with Jessie LXDE.
> Do your applications have the correct icons in the top left of their
> windows still? Mine does, it's just the taskbar which is wrong.

Yes they do (I've attached a tiny snippet screen grab for running
emacs and xterm windows laid over each other to show the icons)

> A (possibly wild) speculation is there's some race condition where the
> task bar button gets created before the application sets it's icon and
> then doesn't get notice or act on the change.

> I don't see this problem with all applications. The one I most notice it
> with is a (QT based?) commercial application: Beyond Compare.

That sounds just like what I'm seeing; but with the exception I have
no qt based apps.  Do you see icons for xterm?