Re: Creating a peculiar Live-CD

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 29 November 2014 at 08:17, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

On 11/28/14, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

<snipped>

<chuckle> I've just proved ( again ;/ ) that my writing lacks clarity.

It's hard to describe a custom live CD in a single, small post.

Not really. I did it in a single sentence - see 3rd sentence down.

The eject command indeed works as expected.

The BIOS on my machines are set to automatically boot from any CD in the
tray.

My question was creating a Live-CD to only execute a specific script when
booted and prevent anything else from being executed.

The script would be of the form:

run_foo
eject /dev/cdrom
shutdown -hP now

Put the script in /etc/rc.local? Create a user that is autologged-in
put the script in their autorun?

I've found:
   http://www.debian-administration.org/article/
        212/An_introduction_to_run-levels
   http://www.debian-administration.org/article/
        28/Making_scripts_run_at_boot_time_with_Debian

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit

Other recommended reading material.

Additional question:
You got me looking at the contents of /etc/rc2.d .
Is there a utility that would list the script name and a least the content of the "#Description:" field. Some of the descriptions are terse, to say the least.

Dependant on what you mean by "anything else"... find out where
"anything else" is triggered and remove the trigger.

Ugh ;/ That's "shutting the barn door...". Don't install door in first place.

If helps I've previously created a number of different "auto" USB
Flash key builds that were designed to be used as "plug, power-on, do
a certain job automagically" tools without user intervention. Some of
the processes 'might' be useful for what it 'sounds' like you want to
do.

<snipped>

I hope that helps a little. Perhaps if you gave more details of all
that you want to do. e.g. a flow chart, what will this script do?

Kind regards