Re: Creating a peculiar Live-CD

On 11/28/14, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> In common conversation, "peculiar" can mean either "unique" or
> "strange/unusual".
> I'm using it in *both* senses.
>
> I'm working on understanding how to use debootstrap and/or
> multistrap. In another forum I was asked a question that
> initially appeared to be out of context. It got me thinking about
> unstated assumptions.
>
> When booted to the CD it will run only a specific program. On
> exit the CD will be ejected and the hardware will power down. I
> can see how I would have accomplished this on my old S-100 system
> running CPM-80. How do I approach this with Debian based tools.
> All tools used must run under Squeeze.

I may be missing something so my apologies in advance if so.. I
*thought* Knoppix does something like that so I did a quick search.
Turns out yes, Knoppix does eject on shut down, found a reference
going back to 2003.. Maybe you could take a peek at how they
accomplish it?

In the same search results just now, I saw a blip of a reference to an
eject program.. Sure enough, apt-cache search shows there's a package
out there *aptly* named "eject". Its description referenced CD
changers so it might not be quite right.. My thinking is (as always),
maybe, just maybe you could tweak it if it doesn't work out of the
box..

Several other packages in my eject apt-cache search had the keyword
eject associated but most seemed audio CD related.. Again, maybe
there's something that could be pulled from those, too.. I say "in my
eject apt-cache search" because results will vary for *everyone* based
on the repositories we each individually choose to use.. :)

Good luck!

PS JUST TODAY getting back into trying to complete my own debootstrap
self-education. Took break from updating keyrings (on dialup) to check
email. Multistrap hit my own radar in last week or so, too. Thank you
for the reminder.. It's now "on the list" :D

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with bird seed (trips occasionally, too) *