Creating a peculiar Live-CD

In common conversation, "peculiar" can mean either "unique" or "strange/unusual".
I'm using it in *both* senses.

I'm working on understanding how to use debootstrap and/or multistrap. In another forum I was asked a question that initially appeared to be out of context. It got me thinking about unstated assumptions.

When booted to the CD it will run only a specific program. On exit the CD will be ejected and the hardware will power down. I can see how I would have accomplished this on my old S-100 system running CPM-80. How do I approach this with Debian based tools. All tools used must run under Squeeze.