Re: latest backports kernel not booting when LVM is involved

Gary Dale <extremegroundmailer@gmail.com> writes:

> On 25/11/14 02:14 PM, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what could be the problem with the backport kernels?  They never finish
>> booting when the root fs is on an LVM volume.
>>
>> Do I need to take special precautions with the backports kernel to get
>> it to boot?  I have a separate /boot partition not on LVM and a biosgrub
>> partition with the root fs on an LVM logical volume.  The default Wheezy
>> kernel boots just fine; the backports kernel gets stuck with the last
>> message being that some random-thing has been initialized.  The kernel
>> is still alive then: I can plug/unplug USB devices and get messages
>> about it on the console.  I can also see that the LVM volumes are
>> detected.
> What happens if you boot to a recovery console/single user mode
> instead of a normal boot?

same result

Even the default kernel wouldn't boot anymore.

It was quite a pita to recover because one of the domUs handles the
internet connection and I had to go to some lengths to be able to
finally put the default kernel back.

The Debian installer definitely needs to come with non-free firmware at
least for network cards, and the rescue mode needs to be able to set up
a pppoe connection just like the installer can when in expert mode.

I really don't understand what the big deal with the non-free firmware
is.  If you need it, you need it, and having to load it from somewhere
else (which doesn't really work anyway) sucks.  Other than that it
sucks, it doesn't make a difference whether it comes with the installer
or not because when you do need it, you'll use it anyway.

If I didn't happen to have added another network card anyway, I'd have
been screwed because of Debians firmware issues.

> Or can you get to a console using Ctrl-Alt-F2?

Oh, I didn't try that.  The kernel didn't finish booting: I pressed
Enter to see if there would be a login, and there wasn't.  I could
reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Some of the domUs are running the backports kernel just fine, and it has
been running fine on the same machine before the root fs was on an LVM
partition.  The problem really seems to be when LVM is involved.

Perhaps there are some modules which mkinitramfs puts into the boot
image while dracut omits them?  Hoever, the LVM volumes were detected,
yet shortly after, booting didn't proceed.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.