latest backports kernel not booting when LVM is involved

Hi,

what could be the problem with the backport kernels?  They never finish
booting when the root fs is on an LVM volume.

Do I need to take special precautions with the backports kernel to get
it to boot?  I have a separate /boot partition not on LVM and a biosgrub
partition with the root fs on an LVM logical volume.  The default Wheezy
kernel boots just fine; the backports kernel gets stuck with the last
message being that some random-thing has been initialized.  The kernel
is still alive then: I can plug/unplug USB devices and get messages
about it on the console.  I can also see that the LVM volumes are
detected.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.