Re: disk group (was ... Re: How to override fuse args to ntfs-3g to set permissions?)

On 26/11/14 04:36 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere (may have been on this list) that
putting anybody in the disk group is a big no no, I think it was to do
with security.

*It is* (shoot foot material). So is setting ntfs-3g setuid. Which is
another practise used for what the OP wanted to achieve - in the way he
wanted to do it.
Like sudo no password it's a common practise - in hindsight I should
have refused to help with that option (I did suggest udev) - and there
are other ways.

Whether I'm misremembering or not it would be nice to get it cleared up.

You didn't misremember it - unfettered access to raw disks is not good
practise.

I was wrong. Following those instructions could have caused the OP to
inadvertently break Windows.

Thanks, I've removed myself from the disk group.

Rick