disk group (was ... Re: How to override fuse args to ntfs-3g to set permissions?)

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 02:46:24PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> In which case I'd "recommend":-
> *1.* uncommenting the user_allow_other line in /etc/fuse.conf
>
> *2.* changing the fstab line to:-
> LABEL=WinBackup /media/WinBackup ntfs-3g
> uid=1000,gid=1000,permissions,auto,noatime 0 0
>
> *3.* check that you are a member of the "disk" group (as a "user":-
> groups |grep disk
> if you aren't, become one (as "root")[*1]:-
> gpasswd -a $YourUsername disk
>
> [*1] "groups" won't show your changed group membership until after
> you've logged out, and logged back in. You can use the following if you
> need to double-check:-
> grep disk /etc/group

I vaguely remember reading somewhere (may have been on this list) that
putting anybody in the disk group is a big no no, I think it was to do
with security.

Whether I'm misremembering or not it would be nice to get it cleared up.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X