Re: iceweasel and dolphin

On 25/11/14 17:17, Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting crazy with iceweasel not opening dolphin for "containing
> folders".

Hi, I run Debian Wheezy, with some backports, Iceweasel 33.1, KDE4[*1]
and *no* GNOME on this workstation.

[*1] kdebase-bin 4:4.8.4-2 (heavily customised KDE installation)

To see the current file browser system association (as your usual user):-
xdg-mime query default inode/directory

*1.* to make dolphin the default file browser (as your usual user):-
xdg-mime default dolphin.desktop inode/directory

Note: that relies on you having a "dolphin.desktop" config file - your
installation of GNOME, and my not, makes that problematic. If you have
"locate" installed *and* 'you' are a member of "mlocate" you can check
for it's existence with "mlocate":-
mlocate dolphin.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/dolphin.desktop
/usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop

*If* you don't get those results you can create them, by downloading
them from the attachments to this email, and saving them to the correct
locations (you'll need to change the filenames I've used to indicate
their future locations, to dolphin.desktop, and mv them from where you
download them as "root").

*2.* You 'may' need to disable Nautilus as the default file browser - in
which case (check for it's existence first with "ls"), as "root":-
mv /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service{,.bak}

Note that's one line of code.

*Further considerations for GNOME possible problems*
Please note, again, I don't have/use GNOME so I'm forced to guess and
try and cover all possibilities I can think of (no guarantee that's
actually *all* - the standard Debian promise applies - "if it breaks you
get to keep both pieces")

*1.* Check that Nautilus isn't set in default apps:-
as the usual user:-
grep -i nautilus /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
if you get a result, as "root":-
cp cat /usr/share/applications/defaults.list{,.bak}
then edit it as "root" and remove the Nautilus line:-
nano /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

*2.* Repeat step *1.* above with:-
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

*Further integration of KDE4 and Iceweasel*

*To add KDE's KPart capabilities*
As root:-
apt-get -s install kpartsplugin | less
if you're happy with what will be installed, proceed with the installation:-
apt-get install kpartsplugin
Go to System Settings on the KMenu -> Network and Connectivity ->
KPartsPlugin
Configure to suit your needs

*To add QT-style-like ability to Iceweasel* (it's a GTK app)
As root:-
*1.* apt-get -s install gtk2-engines-oxygen | less
if you're happy with what will be installed, proceed with the installation:-
apt-get install gtk2-engines-oxygen

*2.* apt-get -s install kde-config-gtk-style | less
if you're happy with what will be installed, proceed with the installation:-
apt-get install kde-config-gtk-style

*3.* Go to System Settings on the KMenu -> Common Appearance and
Behaviour -> Gtk Configuration
Configure to suit your needs

*4.* Install a KDE-like theme in Iceweasel (from the Iceweasel Addons
page -> Appearance). I like Nuvola, there are Crystal (Cute Buttons) and
Oxygen-like Themes available

*To change the File Picker*
Go to "about:config" in Iceweasel
Search for "ui.allow_platform_file_picker"
Change the default Boolean value to "false"

*To change the print dialog to KDE's kprinter*
*1.* Repeat the above process for File Picker, except search for:-
print.print_command
and change the String value from:-
lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
to:-
kprint

I hope that helps

Useful refs:-