Re: [OT] alternative to dnsdynamic.com?

On 24/11/2014 13:40, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

It seems dsndynamic.com bit the dust this weekend of the 23 of
November. Is there an alternative of a free dsn server?

Two ideas:

First, If you are looking for (1) a free domain name with (2) the capability to automatically update the dns record whenever the IP address of a host changes, such as the dyndns free service previously did, then I wonder if it may be possible to

1. use a free domain name from here:

http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en

which is managed by Freenom, who also have 3 other TLDs to select from:

http://www.freenom.com/en/freeandpaiddomains.html

and

2. if you are good with scripts, whether it may also be possible to use a script to update the dns records in either
(a) the DNS servers managed by Freenom for you domain, or
(b) some DNS servers managed by yourself (though I am not sure you could run a DNS server on an IP that itself may be dynamically changing)

When I looked last at .tk (when dyndns stopped being free) I could not see how to update the dns records dynamically from my own host, but there may be some better guidance around, these days.

Second, If you are happy to pay for a domain, you could consider a registrar such as Gratis DNS ( https://web.gratisdns.dk/ ). With this registrar, you can update the dns A record dynamically with a single http command. I do this, using a wget http blah,blah command, for a host that we have on a dynamic IP that we use for some backup/alternate connectivity.

regards, Ron