[OT] "xy?" [was: Re: init scripts [was: If Not Systemd, then What?]]

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 19/11/14 15:12, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 18/11/14 23:14, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 18/11/14 15:06, Miles Fidelman wrote:
<snipped>
Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 18/11/14 12:54, Miles Fidelman wrote:
<snipped> I left out sendmail, but I just checked, and guess
what, no systemd service file in upstream).
xy?
Ummm.... those are NOT systemd scripts shipped by the upstream
sendmail developers.
Your point was noted - hence the "xy?" comment.
ummm.... that's awfully cryptic
Not if you are a programmer, or read this list often.
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/XyProblem
Can't say that I've ever come across it used on this list.
https://www.google.com/search?q=+"xy+problem"+site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Flists.debian.org

36 total hits - I'd say that's obscure

And while I can't claim to be much of a programmer, at least these
days,  I've managed and worked with an awful lot of programmers, and I
can honestly say that I've never come across the term in general usage.
Odd - it's commonly employed on stack exchange and various programming
lists.

I'll take your word for it. Just saying that I personally have not come across it.