Re: init scripts [was: If Not Systemd, then What?]

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 06:34:47PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Ludovic Meyer wrote:

> >>Interesting, since I posted this, a bunch of people have jumped on
> >>my comment that relying on packagers and systemd to support sysvinit
> >>scripts seems increasingly risky, but...
> >>
> >>Not a single person has commented on the observation that upstream
> >>developers, at least of core server applications, are thoroughly
> >>ignoring systemd.
> >No one commented because that's false.
> >I also guess that you will use anyone response to later justify
> >"see, it try to force its way by forcing people to
> >integrate with systemd". Either way, that's gonna be used
> >as a way to criticize.
>
> False, how?

the whole part that you erased showed there is a few upstreams
that care about integration with systemd at the source code level.

Ie, using features of systemd ( journald, socket activation ),
rather than just providing a .service file.

> I went through the release notes, install instructions,
> support wikis, source trees, and did some googling for good measure,
> and all that I found re. systemd scripts for pretty much the most
> popular server-side programs were a few emails in the Arch users
> list about how to get these things working w/ systemd.

Now, if you really want to see how much do ship
a unit file, i suggest using proper tools, like :
http://code.openhub.net/

Look for ExecStart=

Now, the problem is that the search engine do give
around 16 millions of matches, because it also include
the result of various distribution, and I guess duplicate
and fork, so you would surely have to filter. But looking at the
200 seconds first results, this doesn't seems to be full
of completely wrong results.

--
l.