Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 09:41:23PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Marty wrote:

> >>If you care so much about Redhat code, maybe you should document
> >>yourself, and see there pay coders for glibc, gcc, the kernel ( a
> >>ton of them, according to lwn and linux fundations reports ), on
> >>coreutils, gnome, kde, php, python, openssh, etc, etc.

> >>You keep using those words, but you do not seems to use them correctly.
> >>If the same system is present on more than one distributio, that's not
> >>vendor lock-in since you can switch distribution and then reuse the same
> >>system.
> >
> >I meant that one vendor seeks to control the Linux ecosystem.
> >Whether that plan is viable or even sane, is another issue, but I
> >am not eager to see if their plan will succeed or be a guinea pin
> >in the experiment.
>
> As much as I dislike systemd, I'm not sure that it's a vendor
> conspiracy to "control the Linux ecosystem."  Yes, redhat pays
> Lennart Poettering's salary (among others).  But... I'm hard pressed
> to see how turning a collection of free distros into functional
> equivalent's of redhat, or increasing the resources applied to free
> distros, is really to their benefit.  If anything, it would seem to
> dilute the competitive advantage of paid RHEL.
>
> Personally, I think it's more a matter of one, prima donna
> developer, who has the advantage of a salary, who has a vision and
> design philosophy that he's promoting in a very aggressive and
> single minded way.  And he's very overt about it.  (Somebody posted
> an email from Poettering last week saying, roughly, 'first we're
> going to get kdbus into the kernel, then we're going to make udev
> depend on it, and then everyone will have to eat systemd to get
> udev.'  As I recall, the message closed with 'gentoo, be warned.')
>
> I figure this is more a case of redhat management not wanting to
> tick off valued prima donna, and maybe seeing what he's doing as a
> contribution to the open source community (to date, redhat has been
> pretty good about contributing to the community in lots of different
> ways).  Still,  if I were in their shoes, I'd be trying to reign the
> guys in.

Why would the management of a external company care about what
happen in Debian ?
People keep wanting the project to be free of corporate influence, but
it seems that some wouldn't be against having a bit of corporate influence if the
influence was in the way they want..

> Given that RHEL's main selling points are enterprise
> capabilities, quality control, and (for the government market)
> security accreditation and lots of support, I'd much rather see
> diversity and weak code spread across competing distributions.

Canonical was criticized for keeping their code for their ( mir, unity ),
and Redhat would be criticized for not keeping the code only for them.

I guess there is no good way for a company to make free software that
change something in the core of existing ecosystem.

--
l.