Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On 11/16/2014 6:40 AM, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 21. 10. 2014 04:06:23 je Marty napisal(a):
>> On 10/20/2014 03:45 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>> After much vitriolic gnashing of teeth from those opposed to systemd,
>>> I wonder...  What is a better alternative?  And it can't be sysvinit.
>
> Why not? I do not see sysvinit -- or any other legacy init system, for
> that matter -- as contradicting the following:
>
>> Whichever one the user wants is the best. The users should decide,
>> individually and collectively. The distro should be the testbed for
>> new ideas, with users trying out and choosing solutions that work best
>> for them. Debian should not make that choice for users. "Upstreams"
>> should not make that choice for Debian.
>
> I'll second that. There has been much gnashing of teeth and talking
> about forks and pitchforks on this list. Instead of talking of
> catastrophic upheavals, such as systemd or forking, why not talk of
> refreshing/refurbishing/maintaining sysvinit and other existing systems?
> After all, we probably wouldn't be dealing with this hot systemd potato
> now had sysvinit been maintained intensely, actively, and with adequate
> manpower through all these years. Instead, it has been left more or less
> bitrotting on savannah (kudos to the few maintainers working on it
> despite the hostile stance of the Linux community), and this major
> upheaval is now the result.

The problem here is lack of time and/or skills.  I would love to help,
but I already have my plate full.  Additionally, I've done device
drivers and applications, but never dealt with init systems.  There
would be a big learning curve.  And then there is the politics of being
accepted by the DD community.  Maybe some people don't think it's too
bad - but I get enough politics in real life that I don't want to deal
with it in a volunteer position.

Most of the qualified people I know are pretty much in the same position.

>> This is official Debian Policy but some people seem upset about it.
>
> Exactly. Instead of all the ire, sysvinit & alternatives are in dire
> need of some love. Instead of reinventing the square wheel, much of this
> misguided energy could be directed toward patching up the old wheels
> which, after all, had been serving us -- and serving us well -- for the
> last 20 years.

So why, instead of spending all this time on a new init system didn't
developers already familiar with sysvinit work on it?  Systemd wasn't
one person alone.

>> I hope this just a misunderstanding that gets cleared up after the
>> dust settles and everyone starts talking again, instead of just
>> yelling at each other.
>
> Ditto. I hope some defectors come back to Debian and realize that if
> they give Debian/upstream packages some work, many bitrotten packages
> may be reinstated into Debian main, without having to make a blend/fork
> or whatever. For the benefit of us all.

I don't think this is going to happen.  I know a lot of people who are
looking at another distro, or even helping with a fork.  This includes
me.  And when I find a distro I like, I won't be coming back.  The
others feel the same way.

I don't change distros very often; it's a lot of work to test new
systems before placing in production.  And then there is the learning
curve.

>>> So, what would you all propose?  For a server?  Or for a user desktop?
>>> Or something that fulfills both scenarios?  And why?
>>
>> We all should be able to propose our ideal solution with a reasonable
>> expectation that if it's a good idea, and somebody does the work, it
>> could be adopted and help other people, without being unduly hindered
>> by a software bundle laying exclusive claim to PID 1.
>
> 1. Reviving the existing init systems. Modernizing them, making them
> into true, interchangeable drop-in replacements of each other, which do
> the task assigned, and do it well. Each of them accomplishing at least
> the common subset of tasks an init system is supposed to provide.

That would be great, but it's not going to happen.  The TC has already
indicated systemd is going to be the default, and packages are already
beginning to require systemd.  I predict more and more packages will
require systemd as time goes on.

> 2. Complementing them with existing or new tools (again, drop-in
> interchangeable replacements of each other) which build on them and
> provide the next layer. For example, the kernel autofs facility provides
> very nice automounting and could be deployed to the majority of desktop
> installs (instead of being just an optional package, as it is now), thus
> making the various automount daemons of the various desktop
> environments/file managers virtually superfluous. As a further example,
> the former udev (prior to being merged into systemd) has already been
> forked and could/will serve us well for years to come. And so on.

This would also be great.  However, who's going to spend the time
building these replacements?  Maintaining/upgrading sysvinit is minor
compared to this job, and even that couldn't be done.

> We don't need another Windows,
> We don't need to know the way /home
> All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome

I agree here.  Unfortunately, after the TC's decision, it looks like
Debian (along with a lot of other major distributions) is headed this way.

I think you have some great ideas.  However, I just don't see the
desire/manpower to fight the Debian hierarchy.  We've already lost one
long-time developer; I expect others will follow.

Jerry