Re: engineering management practices and systemd (Re: Installing an Alternative Init?)

On 11/14/2014 5:26 AM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was claimed that sysvinit was the default *and only* (emphasis not
> mine) init, and therefore no selection was needed, but now that there
> are several a selection suddenly is needed.

I don't recall claiming that sysvinit was the *only* init, nor do I
recall anyone else making such a claim.

I merely pointed out that it was the *default* for many, many years
(actual time unknown and googling didn't easily reveal it).

> I was just pointing out that alternatives were indeed available, for
> quite some time,

Yes, but obviously no one was switching often enough for any bugs to
allow for easy switching to be opened/scratched.

My very simple point is and has been that, *because* the *default* init
system for debian has been sysvinit since anyone can apparently
remember, the very act of even *suggesting* that it be switched in
jessie to not only a *different*, but a (relatively) *very new* one,
should have invoked a very simple requirement - for which the
responsibility for implementation and maintenance would be on those
calling for the switch - to provide a means for easily switching back
and forth so that everyone else could easily test things, and
ultimately, after the release of jessie with the new default, provide a
means to easily choose the previous default installer at both update
*and* install time, and maintain such at *least* during the life of the
jessie (if not jessie+1).

> it's just that maintainers and users of alternate inits did not yell
> at the sysvinit maintainers to implement the choice for them.

And I would argue that the number of people who did switch was probably
miniscule, with respect to the entire debian user base.