Re: Valuing non-code contributions -- was Re: systemd - so much energy wasted in quarreling

On 11 November 2014 19:43, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 11/11/2014 20:21, Don Armstrong a écrit :
>>> Asking to provide a patch to an utterly complex code is just
>>> [complete] [nonsense] and [hypocrisy]: one cannot patch any complex
>>> software without working on it for long hours.
>> While it might take less time for someone intimately familiar with a
>> piece of code to provide a patch, it still may take a lot of time for
>> them to provide the patch. The actual cost may be even higher even
>> though it takes less time, because writing a patch means that they're
>> not working on something else.
>>
>> It's the reality of Free Software that people work on things that they
>> want to work on. If something is important to you, but not important
>> enough for you to do it, then your next best alternative is to figure
>> out how you can best encourage someone else to do it for you. Calling
>> people hypocrites isn't a very effective way to do that.
>>
>>> And when the probleme is te basic design of the software a patch is
>>> not conceivable.
>> Then the solution is to become involved in the software design process.
>>
> Your email makes me me regretting contibuting by translating doc (a long
> time ago) otr contibuting bugs...
>
> This kind opf stance is completely full of contempt agains non coders.
> But coders are nothing if nobody uses or test.
>

> --

Hello All

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~halfak/publications/The_Rise_and_Decline/

Not directly applicable but food for thought.

Where are the volunteers coming from in Jessie+3 or Jessie+10 ?

'Onboarding' processes could be clearer.

cheers
--
Keith Burnett
http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/