Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 10.11.2014 20:28, Michael Biebl wrote:
Am 10.11.2014 um 19:26 schrieb Patrick Bartek:
Maybe, the release after Jessie will include an init choice.

Ironically, jessie is the first release where you can actually install
an alternative init.
Up until now you were forced to use sysvinit.

People seem to forget that.

sysvinit was not that controversial :)

Personally I never liked sysvinit. The /etc/init.d scripts to start even simple services was overly complex, and they grew worse over time. When I first read about systemd, I actually liked it. I still do. - That is, I like the simpler service-configuration, and the starting of services in parallel. I used to be a DevOp 10 - 15 years ago (that is, mostly developer, but also operator on may be 30 Debian servers spread around) - and I hated all the waiting while databases and mail servers spun up, one after another. (This was before virtualization become common - and single servers often served many purposes. Today, we are more concerned about how much time it takes to start a 100.000 VM's than the boot-time for each instance).

What I don't like about systemd, is that it insists on doing things I don't want it to do. I don't want /it/ to control the network or udev, or anything but the initialization of the system. I like the simplicity of UNIX. In the long run, I don't think that I want systemd on my personal machines, or machines I am responsible for.

So allowing alternatives now, makes sense. It's a good thing.

Jarle