Re: Unable too boot after fresh install of latest "testing"

On 10.11.2014 16:01, Marko Randjelovic wrote:>
> Boot from Install CD/DVD and choose rescue mode. Than you can review
> grub options and reinstall. Alternatively, you can try lilo.

I have tried rescue mode and various "grub-install" and "update-grub" commands

"update-grup" makes no difference.

With EFI enabled in bios (dual mode legacy/efi), grub gave me this message (after I ran install-grub /dev/sdc from rescue mode):

   error: /grub/i386-pc/normal.mod not found

I disabled EFI in bios, and reinstalled. Got blinking cursor. Entered rescue mode and issued install-grub /dev/sdc. After reboot, I finally got the grub boot prompt (with a frame of alpha-signs). However, when I tried to boot Debian, I got this error:

  error: can't find command `['.
  error: can't find command `['.
  error: can't find command `search'.
  error: can't find command `echo'.
  error: can't find command `linux'.
  error: can't find command `echo'.
  error: can't find command `initrd'.

  Press any key to continue...

Then I gave up installing on /dev/sdc and installed on /dev/sda, with defaults (encrypted disk on top of LVM, /boot in separate ext4 partition). After reboot, all I got was the blinking cursor...

I installed Mint on /dev/hda (to get a working desktop, and to check if the hardware was still working) and left /dev/hdc for further research on the problem.

Since it worked before, and works with an older installer (Linux Mint), it looks, walks and quacks like a bug. It seems to me like the installer don't install the grub boot-loader on this machine. When I ran grub-install from the rescue mode (with / mounted as / and /boot mounted on it's partition), grub was installed indeed, but not correctly.

I am eager to get my machine running again with testing, so I'm available to trouble-shoot further. However, I'm no expert on grub. I need some suggestions on how to proceed. (I spend a whole day googling and trying different suggestions that came up in the results).

> Is your boot partition not encrypted?

/boot is not encrypted.

Jarle