Unable too boot after fresh install of latest "testing"

I have been using "testing" for quite some time. Saturday, I upgraded to the latest version. That was a disaster. Eventually I gave up fixing the upgrade and performed a fresh install (with encrypted root file system). No matter what I did (I tried 5 - 6 fresh installs on two disks, and a few boots into rescue mode to try to execute grub-install or update-grub manually), I was unable to boot after the upgrade.

After the upgrade, I have a black screen with a little cursor blinking in the upper, left corner. No messages from grub. No response when I press keys on the keyboard. No time-out. It just stays there.

I installed Linux Mint (kde edition) without any issues late yesterday night - so the hardware seems to be OK. However, I'm doing some C++14 programming, and the compilers in Mint are too old for my code. I can't compile. That's the reason I was using testing on my main machine.

I still have a free SSD disk where I can install and trouble-shoot the problem. Please advice.

Hardware:
- Lenovo w520 laptop with 2 SSD´s and one HDD
- 24" HP LA240wg monitor on the Display Port connector
- 24" Philips 240BW monitor on the VGA connector

Jarle