Re: umask has no man page?

On 02/11/14 16:58, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-11-02 at 14:17 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> Succinct!
>>
>> man pam_umask?
>
> That is not a solution to the original question I asked,

My apologies,
            your question(s?) were unclear and obfuscated with false
assertions.

Hopefully a "beginner" would start at the start, i.e.:-
help help
info info
man man

So they wouldn't have your problem, and they'd quickly learn that umask
is *more* that just a BASH built-in, hence the variety of well-meaning

They'd also discover the pseudo man pages for built-ins e.g. if the
current shell is BASH:-
help -m umask

> unless you alias it to man umask.

Which would be silly. I'm not sure adding a reference to shell built-ins
with the same name, and to the "property", would be a solution either.

> You don't _type_ pam_umask.

Do you believe you have psychic powers? If you asked clearer
questions[*1] you'd do less "nitpicking". Please don't be the Red Queen.

The answer to the question*s* you might have asked, and some of the
questions they may have raised if you'd followed the guide on how to ask
smart questions is:-

Q. Why is there no man page for BASH built-ins?

A. Because they are built-ins. There documentation is internal to the
command (shell) - which has it's own man page, as per tradition
(separate the shell from the system). The same policy applies to
multi-call binaries, for the same reason - to reduce confusion.

Q. Does Debian policy require man pages for every package?

A. No (it's recommended only). There is no requirement for Debian
developers to produce a man page for every package they develop, or
package from upstream. It would be unproductive as many packages require
no man pages - and man pages are hard to write (horse drives cart).
NOTE: that built-in commands are *not* packages.

Q. But it confuses me that there is a man page for umask that is not the
BASH built-in, yet there is no man page for the BASH builtin umask. Why
is that?

A. Because the man pages project documents "the Linux system" (i.e. more
than just what an operator might "typically" type at a BASH command line).

[*1] Glenn Beck has a lot to answer for. :/

> Carl

Kind regards

--
"Turns out you can't back a winner in the Gish Gallop" ~ disappointed punter