Re: Mount order after systemd update

Le Sun, 2 Nov 2014 16:17:05 +0100,
Martin Manns <mmanns@gmx.net> a écrit :

> Dear all

Hello,

> After switching to systemd, I would like to get back the following
> behavior:
>
> Mount multiple lvm-crypt volumes with password entry on startup.
> Mount several loopback devices from files within these volumes.
>
> With sysvinit, I had put the mount order into /etc/fstab and
> everything worked as expected.

Wild guess here, you should try to set the "use_lvmetad" to 1
in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and see if it helps.

> After switching to systemd, mount operations seem to be spawned in
> parallel. This has the following consequences:
>
> 1) I am never sure which device requests password entry first.
> Therefore, password choice is a gamble. Furthermore, password entry on
> startup looks weird because some weird red moving stars are shown
> instead of a prompt.

For this issue I would suggest to install plymouth, it should
serialized the output on the console and allow you to have a better
idea of what's happening on the console.

> 2) If I wait for some time before entering all passwords then some
> kind of timeout seems to kick in and the volume is not mounted at all.
> It is actually hard to enter everything without any timeout.

See systemd.mount(5) manpage, there is a way to increase the timeout.

> 3) If a loopback device is mounted before a preceding encrypted
> device then it obviously fails. However, this prevents correct startup
> and gives me an emergency console.

I guess you could write a .mount unit file if lvmetad is not helping,
you should be able to express dependencies there.

Cheers,

Laurent Bigonville