Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2014, lee wrote:
>> As to package management: When you don't have a software installed,
>> other software you have installed shouldn't depend on the software you
>> don't have installed when the installed software doesn't use the
>> software which is not installed.
>
> Except that it the software does depend on the shared library being
> installed. Binaries which link against shared libraries must have the
> shared library present to run. Otherwise they have a linker failure, and
> never start running in the first place.

Then the software shouldn't depend on a library it doesn't need.  I
don't consider it "need" when a library is merely there to do nothing.

It's like keeping a trailer connected to your car all the time, with the
main fuse of the trailers' circuit removed, just because the electricity
could decide to want to try to flow through the outlet at the hitch in
case you hit the break pedal.  You don't use and don't need the trailer,
yet you must have it because otherwise you couldn't drive around with
the fuse removed.

See how silly and what a bad solution this is?

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.