Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014, lee wrote:
> That's an abuse of dependencies, and I consider it a bug. The package
> management needs to take care of this itself.
>
> That shouldn't need to be installed when systemd isn't used.
>
> libselinux might then also fall under "abuse of dependencies".

If a binary links against a library, the library must be present for
the binary to run. It doesn't matter if the codepaths you are using
don't use those symbols, they still must be there.

The only way around this is to dlopen(), and that produces its own host
of problems.

> To sum it up:  No matter whether you use systemd or not, Debian depends
> on it.

Debian has packages which have dependencies on some of the libraries
that systemd provides. That's orthogonal to whether Debian requires
systemd to be PID 1 or not.

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked
Him to forgive me.
 -- Emo Philips.