proofing searchable pdf files

Hi all,

Problem:
I am working on an archiving project and wish to archive documents to searchable pdf files but can't seem to figure out how to proof read and correct the text overlay. Any suggestions.

System:
	Debian Wheezy
	Intel i5-750 processor
	HP Officejet Pro 8600 wireless all in one printer/fax/scanner
	gscan2pdf software with Tesseract ocr
	300 to 600 dpi scans.

Tesseract seems to do a really great job but I have no good way of proving this or correcting any mistakes. Some of the documents are 100 years old and may not be in such great shape. I can always retype everything but would like to avoid this, as much as possible, for obvious reasons.

Gary R.