Re: proofing searchable pdf files

On 30/10/14 08:47 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all,

Problem:
I am working on an archiving project and wish to archive documents to searchable pdf files but can't seem to figure out how to proof read and correct the text overlay. Any suggestions.

System:
    Debian Wheezy
    Intel i5-750 processor
    HP Officejet Pro 8600 wireless all in one printer/fax/scanner
    gscan2pdf software with Tesseract ocr
    300 to 600 dpi scans.

Tesseract seems to do a really great job but I have no good way of proving this or correcting any mistakes. Some of the documents are 100 years old and may not be in such great shape. I can always retype everything but would like to avoid this, as much as possible, for obvious reasons.

Gary R.

Tesseract is the tool for the job. Scan at 600 dpi for best results. If the originals are typed/typeset the results should be good but you may have to do some fiddling with the scans to bring out the detail.

The fastest way to proofread is to inhale the text into a word processor and spell check. Grammar checking is also a help.

There are also Tesseract box editors you can try that let you edit the Tesseract OCR files.

I thought Tesseract would let you adjust the search words when necessary.