Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

On 10/30/14, Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

>> I think this problem should be resolved. I know the newer desirable
>> keeping
>> of /usr on /. However, I would bet 99% of existing multi-partition Debian
>> installations have usr on a separate partition. Historically and even
>> recent installations (not that I like the partitioning done by the
>> installer, but ...) I may move mine soon once I resolve some disk
>> hardware
>> issues but I should not have to do this just to get rid of a superfluous
>> "fail" message and switch to verbose mode.
>>
>> Aside from this issue, I am running systemd just fine!
>
> FULL ACK! Systemd is running fine on all my systems, too.
> Except the thing I already mentioned. I think, the maintainers do not
> expect,
> repartitioning of all running systems, due to the /usr problem. There are
> obviously better ways, I think.
>
> However, jessie is not far away from changing to "stable", but that
> particular
> "bug" is IMO a big jessie-stopper.

My (occasionally) unhumble opinion is this sounds like a notable #FAIL
before the system ever even gets its engine running. Makes one wonder
what else might silently glitch just beyond sight or log files and as
a direct result of this.

Sounds like this creates a possibility for highly important system
wide [symlinks] to /usr and similarly affected directories to miss
making their connections at a critical moment. Is there some kind of
testing that could be done to extensively... well... test that aspect?

Isn't systemd where someone was upset about remarkably long boot times
early on in these recent discussions? Maybe at least one part of their
issue could be traced to this... or not. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* Do not pass GO, do not collect $200 *