Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

On 30/10/14 11:35, David Baron wrote:
I think this problem should be resolved. I know the newer desirable keeping of
/usr on /. However, I would bet 99% of existing multi-partition Debian
installations have usr on a separate partition. Historically and even recent
installations (not that I like the partitioning done by the installer, but
....) I may move mine soon once I resolve some disk hardware issues but I
should not have to do this just to get rid of a superfluous "fail" message and
switch to verbose mode.

When I installed Squeeze on a new PC three years ago I blindly followed the installer's partitioning advice since I thought the Debian developers would certainly know better than me. One Debian version later I found out that my root partition had probably been created much too small because it couldn't even hold two different kernels. Another Debian version later, a young man, Mr. Poettering, tells the Debian developers that the partitioning scheme they always recommended was "broken". I guess I can now look forward to learning whether an upgrade to Jessie - should I ever attempt one and not go back to Slackware or try another OS out of desperation - will fail due to lack of disk space or lack of compatibility with existing partitioning schemes. OMG.