Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

Le Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:27:50 +0100,
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> a écrit :

> Dear maintainers,
>
> completely without starting any flamewars:
>
> I am using systemd and I have /usr mounted on a separate partition as
> well as /var, /home, /boot and /.
>
> Additionally /usr, /var and /home are luks encrypted.
>
> Due to this profile, I get a lot of annoying errors, as systemd does
> not find /usr when it is started, because it produces an error and
> then switches to verbose mode. This is very annoying!
>
> For a new installation it might be ok, to put /usr on the root
> partition, but I guess, there are a lot of systems in the world
> running a partition profile like mine.
>
> Besides of the mentioned problem systemd is running well.
>
> I thought about this problem. Might it be possible, to change systemd
> in that way, that it will start after all partitions are mounted? I
> know, it must be done in the source code, but as I am no coder, I
> cannot do it myself.
>
> So I ask the developers hereby, maybe it wil be possible to do that.

I bet you are running jessie/testing?

This issue should be fixed in initramfs-tools >= 0.117 that is
currently in unstable (and unfortunately blocked by some RC bugs).

The newer version include the following change:

  * Mount /usr if present in the /etc/fstab on the mounted rootfs
    (Closes: #652459)

I personally really hope this change will make it into jessie.

Cheers,

Laurent Bigonville