Re: debian-installer grub install problem

Hi

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 09:06:26PM -0700, Ric Marques wrote:
> I need to install wheezy via pxe boot to many (hundreds) of systems.
> The problem I am currently running into in my testing is that my
> boot drive is enumerated by udev as /dev/sdat in many of those
> systems, and the grub-install routine inside debian-installer will
> not install to that device...  I already have worked out how to
> select the proper device with a script in preseed.

FAI apepars to have no problem with such things - perhaps the code for
FAI (mostly just scripts) can be used as inspiration?

> Is there a way to manipulate udev rules so that I can force my boot
> drive to always enumerate as sda, or is there a way to get
> grub-install to work with more than the first 16 devices (that is
> where I found it to stop working.... /dev/sdp).

Alternatively, if all of your systems have identical(ish) hardware,
you may be able to use /dev/disk/by-path/XXXXX instead?

> Any suggestions, besides the painfully obvious (and nearly
> impossible) removal of the extra 45 drives in each of the systems?

Personally, I find it much easier to install using FAI than basic
pre-seeding - FAI is much more customizable, and allows you to set up
the resulting system exactly as you want (e.g. including kicking off
puppet, cfgengine and similar), without needing any manual
intervention.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen