Re: Question re: updating debain stable kernels...

On 10/25/2014 11:35 AM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
>> So apparently I need to reboot to be on the new kernel image... but,
>> since I wasn't prompted, it apparently isn't important to do so right
>> away?
>
>> Just trying to get my head around this.

> You won't get a prompt ever. Debian expects the admin to know what he is
> doing and act accordingly.

Well, as I said, I'm new to debian. On gentoo, I have always manually
updated my kernels - so all an OS update does is download the kernel
sources. I then have to manually compile the new kernel, mount /boot, cp
the kernel image file, manually update grub to point to it, then, I can
either reboot, or wait until later.

But being new to debian, I'm also new to the idea of the OS update
process automagically handling kernel updates.

> You can install apt-listchanges to get an output of the most recent
> changelogs of a package and then decide for yourself if you need to
> reboot.
>
> Or you can install the needrestart package (from Jessie, should install
> cleanly on Wheezy) and get a notification that way.

Which still doesn't answer the question.

I ran apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade.

The kernel image was updated.

Is the system in some kind of fragile limbo that means I need to reboot
asap?

Or is everything fine, but the next time I reboot, I'll automatically be
on the new kernel?