Re: Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Vi, 24 oct 14, 09:49:46, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> Andrei Popescu:
> >Upstart was the only real  contender to systemd at the time of the
> > evaluation by the Technical Committee, but it has or is being
> > replaced by systemd everywhere.
>
> Tanstaafl:
> >And why was OPenRC not a  contender?
>
> Your question takes a falsehood as its premise.  It actually was, contrary
> to what M. Popescu dismissively stated.

Quote from above, with added emphasis:

    Upstart was the only *real* contender to systemd *at the time* of
    the evaluation for the Technical Committee, [...]

> Several members of the technical
> committee took it and tried to use it themselves, just as they did the other
> systems; and it was included on the formal ballots and in the votes.

In my opinion that was more a formality, it was quite clear that OpenRC
would be beaten by both systemd and upstart. It did reach quorum though
(i.e. better than Further Discussion), which SysV did not.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00402.html

> Contrastingly, the people who were propounding OpenRC at the time provided a
> good example of how NOT to go about doing so.  Their several mistakes are
> worth learning from.

Fully agreed.

Kind regards,
Andrei