Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On 10/24/2014 4:49 AM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
<J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.com> wrote:
> Tanstaafl:
>> And why was OPenRC not a  contender?

> Your question takes a falsehood as its premise.  It actually was,
> contrary to what M. Popescu dismissively stated.  Several members of the
> technical committee took it and tried to use it themselves, just as they
> did the other systems; and it was included on the formal ballots and in
> the votes.

I actually do remember reading a fleeting mention of it somewhere in
the vast sea of stuff I read when trying to catch up on this issue...

> Contrastingly, the people who were propounding OpenRC at the
> time provided a good example of how NOT to go about doing so.  Their
> several mistakes are worth learning from.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here...

Are you saying that some of the people who suggested OpenRC actually
provided BAD examples - meaning, examples that were destined to result
in problems - of how to use it in Debian? If so, maybe that was on
purpose, to decrease the chances of OpenRC being a real contender?

The fact is, OpenRC has been the default init system on gentoo since I
don't know when, and I have *never* had an init problem on any of my
gentoo systems - although I admittedly never use unstable/testing for
system-critical packages either...