Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:45:11 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > After much vitriolic gnashing of teeth from those opposed to
> > systemd, I wonder...  What is a better alternative?
>
> * Nosh
> * Runit
> * Upstart
> * S6
> * Probably more I don't know about.

OpenRC, God, and another one -- I can't recall the name -- come to
mind.  Been studying them all.  Runit as a partial or full "drop-in"
replacement for sysvinit seems promising.

> > And it can't be sysvinit.
> >
> > Yes.  Syvinit still works, but it is after all 20 years old. It's
> > been patched and bolted onto and jury-rigged
>
> Nobody's arguing for sysvinit as a long term solution, for the exact
> reasons you post above. Those of us who appeared to favor sysvinit
> were saying "let's wait until we have something good." We also
> pointed out the false choice of prematurely narrowing it to systemd,
> Upstart or sysvinit.

This I realize, but for some "something good" is never ever good enough
to replace the old, the familiar, the comfortable.

> Now of course, the systemd cabal will argue that we can't wait any
> longer. My question to them is, why was sysvinit not a dire emergency
> until Red Hat's systemd juggernaut came along, and then all of a
> sudden we just couldn't wait?

Doesn't GNOME3 now require systemd to work?  GNOME has been the default
desktop environment for Debian, Fedora, and Red Hat (and others) for a
long time. I never much liked it or KDE. Resource hogs. Fedora
went with GNOME3 as the default at 13, I think. They are now at 20.
Went systemd with 15. I abandoned Fedora a couple years after 12 went
EOL, and switched to Debian Wheezy with just a window manager.