Re: Problem with systemd-sleep in Jessie

On 10/23/2014 09:19 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 24.10.2014 um 02:40 schrieb ~Stack~:
>> I think I last booted/updated this laptop last weekend. I booted it up
>> tonight to mess around on it and the first thing, as always, was to run
>> updates. A bunch of systemd stuff updated. Now the laptop is dang near
>> unusable.
>
> Could you please check, from which version you updated, so we know which
> version did not exhibit this behaviour and which version does.
> See /var/log/dpkg.

It looks like I went from 204-14 to 215-5+b1 if I am reading this
correctly.

> Which version do you currently run?

215-5+b1

>> It boots and it will sit at the log in screen for quite some time like
>> everything is good and happy. If I log in either via GUI (LXDE) or via
>> command line, the laptop goes to sleep anywhere between 2 and 15 seconds
>> later. I have to hit the power button (no other button on the laptop is
>> responsive) and it will wake up again but promptly go back to sleep 2-15
>> seconds later. And repeat.
>>
>> It took me over a minute simply trying to log in via the CLI just run a
>> 'tail -f /var/log/syslog' because for whatever reason it really just
>> wants to go to sleep. The only thing that I really see is a line that reads:
>> <time> <hostname> systemd-sleep: suspending session
>>
>> Nothing before it of any consequence, and after is just logs about the
>> system going into sleep mode.
>>
>> So I have been digging around trying to figure out what is going on and
>> I can't seem to stop it.
>
> Once you're logged in, run "systemd-inhibit --what=sleep /bin/sleep
> 3600" [1]. This should block any suspend requests for one hour.

Thanks. I made the temp modifications from Don Armstrong's suggestion
which seems to have given me relief.

> Or for a permanent change, you can edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf and set
> "HandleSuspendKey" and "HandleLidSwitch" to ignore.

Yup. That's the suggestion. :-)

> Could you describe your hardware in more detail. What type of computer,
> which graphics card and driver, monitor setup etc.

Sure, here is the laptop:
http://linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2100dc.html

It has run a flavor of Linux for...geez...like 8 years...and I have
never had an issue with any Linux distro running on it (the reason why I
bought it :-).

> For some reason, you seem to be getting acpi events which trigger the
> suspend request in logind. This might be a buggy ACPI implementation
> like in [1].
>
> Michael
>

> [1]
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One#Suspend_on_lid.2C_shutdown_on_power_button