Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

Hi Jimmy,

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2014, 09:17:16 schrieb Jimmy Johnson:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> >> See above and unless you are a tester or developer you may want to
> >> roll-back to Squeeze.
> >
> > Why Squeeze? Wheezy has sysvinit just fine… and so or so I expect Jessie
> > work with sysvinit as well.
>
> Hi Martin, Something I did not know at the time you asked the question:
> Why Squeeze?.
>
> Is that Wheezy was used by Debian to test systemd and even though I did
> not know this at that time I did not feel comfortable using Wheezy as my
> main desktop and now knowing that Wheezy is capable of installing
> systemd it will not be my main desktop until systemd is proven to be
> safe to use, I need to know more than words from a blog or a wiki to
> feel comfortable.
>
> I have been able to customize Squeeze to do all and behave as good as
> Wheeze but probably a little faster and once again I feel like a "Happy
> Debian User". :)

While Wheezy has systemd packages and it somewhat works, but also had lots of
issues in my testing with really systemd packages, its optional.

So as long as you do not install it, you will have sysvinit just as with
Squeeze. So systemd is not a reason to delay an update from Squeeze to Wheezy.

Its Jessie/Sid that are under some circumstances difficult to use without
systemd. As to my current knowledge one of the circumstances is an installed
GNOME desktop.

Ciao,