Re: Running Debian Installer without rebooting.

On Wed 22 Oct 2014 at 09:56:35 -0700, Rusi Mody wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:30:05 PM UTC+5:30, Brian wrote:
>
> > This is a different method from using grub's loopback. However, it will
> > still fail at the 'Detect and mount CD-ROM' stage and for the same
> > reason: the netinst image does not contain loop.ko.
>
> Right. So it seems from
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2013/09/msg00094.html
>
> and your
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/12/msg01124.html
>
> that debian installer cant loopmount whereas ubuntu can.
>
> O well...

The Ubuntu and Debian live images are built in a different way from
a netinst or CD-1 image. Basically, they have loop.ko and the ability
to scan an ISO image. The netinst/CD-1 images don't need to have this
facility. There is a patch available to do it but d-i doesn't have it
yet.

Personally, I'm content with the HD method and find it reliable and
versatile.