Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:18:49 +0200
Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are some interesting things one should be aware of before
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
We've all read that. My favorite Poettering manifesto is the one where
he talks of systemd subsuming packaging systems:

http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

Read enough about but still haven't read something really valuable
against systemd from eg. Torvalds, Eric Steven Raymond, etc... (if
you do, post the link)
Isn't this quote from ESR enough "against systemd"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Reception

"very prone to mission creep and bloat and likely to turn into a nasty
hairball over the longer term."

As far as Torvalds, would this qualify as something really valuable
against systemd?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY1MzA

"Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the
code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the
problems you cause."

I believe the main issue with systemd and the community mainly the
"badass-ness"
Badass is a complement. Poettering is just an ass. But if I used
ass-ness as a filter on software I use, I wouldn't use anything RMS
created, because he can be an ass, and I wouldn't use anything from the
Linux kernel, because Linus can be an ass. Ass-authored software is
used every day, by all of us. The thing is, asses like Linus and RMS
don't have a roadmap to the destruction of the software ecosystem that
created them (any more).

More than that, I think. RMS and Linus take a professional approach to software development, and pay attention things like architecture, interfaces, regression testing, design review and other feedback - in a way that Poettering does not seem to.

of the guys in this "init system war" or whatever you
prefer to address at.

Using systemd since 2014-08-09 with no issues.
Good for you. Let's see if you have no issues 2016-08-09, if Red Hat
wins its war against Linux.

Not quite sure I'd go that far - personally, this seems more like Poettering on a mission to reshape Linux in his image, and is taking Red Hat along for the ride. But I could be wrong.

Miles Fidelman