Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:18:49 +0200
Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are some interesting things one should be aware of before
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

We've all read that. My favorite Poettering manifesto is the one where
he talks of systemd subsuming packaging systems:

http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

> Read enough about but still haven't read something really valuable
> against systemd from eg. Torvalds, Eric Steven Raymond, etc... (if
> you do, post the link)

Isn't this quote from ESR enough "against systemd"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Reception

"very prone to mission creep and bloat and likely to turn into a nasty
hairball over the longer term."

As far as Torvalds, would this qualify as something really valuable
against systemd?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY1MzA

"Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the
code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the
problems you cause."

> I believe the main issue with systemd and the community mainly the
> "badass-ness"

Badass is a complement. Poettering is just an ass. But if I used
ass-ness as a filter on software I use, I wouldn't use anything RMS
created, because he can be an ass, and I wouldn't use anything from the
Linux kernel, because Linus can be an ass. Ass-authored software is
used every day, by all of us. The thing is, asses like Linus and RMS
don't have a roadmap to the destruction of the software ecosystem that
created them (any more).

> of the guys in this "init system war" or whatever you
> prefer to address at.
>
> Using systemd since 2014-08-09 with no issues.

Good for you. Let's see if you have no issues 2016-08-09, if Red Hat
wins its war against Linux.

SteveT