Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:02:38AM -0700, Rusi Mody wrote:

> There are other choices to
> - do nothing as weve done for 20 years
> - do it now
>
> In particular, one can take a holistic view: not just Stable -> Jessie,
> but rather Stable -> Jessie -> Jessie+1
>
> and work out the least disruptive, most generally acceptable solution
> in that +1ed widened frame

The fact is that this is already what happened. Systemd is a option in the current
stable, and I just tested, it run fine.
So the plan was more "Stable -> Wheezy -> Jessie". What you are asking is not what you say, this is to
push again now the moment to switch have happened.

And this happened because upstream has a need for feature proposed by systemd, and they waited
long enough ( as the plan was first proposed 2 years, in october 2012 ago
and likely being discussed before during Guadec and others events ).

KDE people, wayland developpers among others also decided to reuse systemd
features, so if you think that Debian should wait 2 or 3 years more than the 2 or
3 years that was already done, sure. But the more time you wait, the less Debian
will be a attractive target to upstream, the more work will have to be done to integrate, and
the less innovation will happen. Ubuntu pushing for new stuff is why we see
ubuntu and not Debian as the goto OS for docker and amazon.

For example, spotify decided to switch to Ubuntu rather than keeping Debian, and
if you look around, they are not the only ones.

Procrastination and protests are not really a solution. If people want to keep
sysvinit, they should help adopt systemd-shim and do bug reports, not wait on
others to do the work when there is obviously not much people who care about that ( since besides
ubuntu, almost no big community do use systemd-shim, so hope of getting wide coverage and
tests are rather slim ).

--
l.