What actual program does the kernel run at boot in the default Jessie?

Hi all,

In the past, I've been taught that the very last thing the kernel does
during boot is run whatever program is called /sbin/init. And
therefore, I can replace /sbin/init with the PID1 of my choice, always
assuming I can connect the myriad of dots.

In default new-installed Jessie, does the kernel still hand off to the
program called /sbin/init during boot, or does it do something else?

Thanks,

SteveT