Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 09:34:48PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:45:11 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > After much vitriolic gnashing of teeth from those opposed to systemd,
> > I wonder...  What is a better alternative?
>
> * Nosh

So this one is fun, it is just a direct copy of the systemd service format.
Guess the proof that's at least a feature that people do want, dropping shell.

And of course, not only the format is copied, it took the set of systemd
services and copied them like this. I am sure ftp-masters wouldn't accept
a GPL violation ( as the .service file are likely not un the BSD ).

> * Runit

was non free for a long time, not sure if developped
anymore, especially since last post on one of the ml date back to
June 2013.

> * Upstart

no longer developped, and suffer from several bugs, go read the tech-ctte
debate.

> * S6

likely the same as runit when it come to be alive.

> * Probably more I don't know about.

You could add openrc, the only serious contender.

> > And it can't be sysvinit.
> >
> > Yes.  Syvinit still works, but it is after all 20 years old. It's been
> > patched and bolted onto and jury-rigged
>
> Nobody's arguing for sysvinit as a long term solution, for the exact
> reasons you post above. Those of us who appeared to favor sysvinit were
> saying "let's wait until we have something good." We also pointed out
> the false choice of prematurely narrowing it to systemd, Upstart or
> sysvinit.

You mean "let's do like we did since 20 years, wait, in case if something will happen".
None of the alternatives you propose have been widely adopted by anyone except upstart.
And that's mostly because no one cared about them up to the point to even propose them.

> Now of course, the systemd cabal will argue that we can't wait any
> longer. My question to them is, why was sysvinit not a dire emergency
> until Red Hat's systemd juggernaut came along, and then all of a
> sudden we just couldn't wait?

You mean that after waiting several years, the solution is to wait again, because
no one cared before, and when 1 group came and changed, the solution is to refuse
and go back doing nothing ?

--
l.