Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:11:32 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please do not top-post.
>
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 05:27:34AM -0200, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> > If uselessd provides ONLY a new init, based on CGroups and lots of
> > cool ideas from systemd itself, then, it worth trying it! Just for
> > fun...
>
> I think it's an interesting project and I might contribute towards the
> packaging, so long as it's a team effort, but currently nobody has
> taken ownership of the 'request for package' bug, so there is almost
> no chance of uselessd being a part of jessie. (it would have to be
> packaged, uploaded and pass NEW in under 2 weeks.)

Hey Jonathan,

First, if you do contribute to uselessd, thank you very much.

I want to make sure I'm reading your paragraph correctly: The
Debian uselessd package cannot be finished in time to make it into
Jessie, so there will be no uselessd package in Jessie. Is that correct?

Let's say that, in six months from now, Debian's uselessd package is
ready for prime time. Would there be any reason some enterprising
person couldn't simply copy it to another repository (hopefully a
trusted one), so that people could add that repository and thus install
uselessd on Jessie?

Thanks,

SteveT