Re: Stuck in update

On 2014-10-20, Alan Greenberger <alanjg@ptd.net> wrote:
> Thank you for responding.

>> --uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:21:58PM -0400, Alan Greenberger wrote:
>>> This morning I tried to update a wheezy recently upgraded from squeeze.
>>> It didn't work and I am stuck.
>>>=20
>>> # aptitude update
>>> # aptitude
>>
>> You update aptitude twice?
> This was a typo, a meant U not u.
>>
>>>  These packages could be upgraded, but they have been kept in their
>>>  current state to avoid breaking dependencies.
>>
>> Which packages?
> Lots that have changed in the last few weeks.

>>>  b (just beeps)
>>
>> 'b' searches for packages which are broken, but you've just been told
>> that packages were held specifically to stop that happening.
>>
>>>=20
>>> There were some error messages about lilo
>>
>> What were the error messages?
> Something went by, can't recall.
>>
>>> # dpkg -l lilo
>>>  iF  lilo           1:23.2-4     amd64
>>> # aptitude
>>>  /lilo
>>>  C     lilo                                         1:23.2-4       1:23.2=
>> -4=20
>>>=20
>>> # dpkg-reconfigure lilo
>>>  /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: lilo is broken or not fully installed
>>
>> OK. But why is lilo broken?
>>
>>>=20
>>> # aptitude install debsums
>>>    debsums libfile-fnmatch-perl{a}=20
>>> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>>>   lilo
>>>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>>>  lilo
>>>=20
>>> # debsums lilo
>>>  debsums: package lilo is not installed
>>
>> debsums didn't install because lilo failed to configure.=20
> desums DID install.  Line above shows it running complaining "lilo is
> not installed"
>>
>>>=20
>>> # aptitude reinstall lilo
>>> The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
>>>   lilo=20
>>> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 50
>>>  not upgraded.
>>> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
>>> E: Internal Error, No file name for lilo:amd64
>>
>> OK. Finally, we get to an actual error message. Apt is trying to find a
>> package for lilo:amd64, but can't for some reason.
>>
>> Please let us know the output of:
>>
>>  $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list}
>  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
>  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
>
>  deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
>  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
>
>  deb     http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
> [...]

I seem to have solved the lilo problem.  I tried
# dpkg --configure lilo
It complained about not being able to write already existing
/boot/sarge.bmp and /boot/sid.bmp .  So I deleted those two symbolic
links, ran it again, and it completed.  Now dpkg -l lilo gives
ii  lilo           1:23.2-4     amd64
and aptitude shows it as
i    --\ lilo                                    1:23.2-4       1:23.2-4

Hopefully this machine is back in business.  I don't know what caused
all of this, but something must have gotten out of whack during the
recent upgrade to wheezy that only showed up when I tried to update
yesterday morning.  I don't know what I typed yesterday that managed to
get interactive aptitude out of its angry state.