Re: Stuck in update

Thank you for responding.

> --uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:21:58PM -0400, Alan Greenberger wrote:
>> This morning I tried to update a wheezy recently upgraded from squeeze.
>> It didn't work and I am stuck.
>>=20
>> # aptitude update
>> # aptitude
>
> You update aptitude twice?
This was a typo, a meant U not u.

>>  These packages could be upgraded, but they have been kept in their
>>  current state to avoid breaking dependencies.
>
> Which packages?
Lots that have changed in the last few weeks.

>>  b (just beeps)
>
> 'b' searches for packages which are broken, but you've just been told
> that packages were held specifically to stop that happening.
>
>>=20
>> There were some error messages about lilo
>
> What were the error messages?
Something went by, can't recall.

>> # dpkg -l lilo
>>  iF  lilo           1:23.2-4     amd64
>> # aptitude
>>  /lilo
>>  C     lilo                                         1:23.2-4       1:23.2=
> -4=20
>>=20
>> # dpkg-reconfigure lilo
>>  /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: lilo is broken or not fully installed
>
> OK. But why is lilo broken?
>
>>=20
>> # aptitude install debsums
>>    debsums libfile-fnmatch-perl{a}=20
>> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>>   lilo
>>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  lilo
>>=20
>> # debsums lilo
>>  debsums: package lilo is not installed
>
> debsums didn't install because lilo failed to configure.=20
desums DID install.  Line above shows it running complaining "lilo is
not installed"

 deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

 deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

 deb     http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

 deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

 deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free
>  $ apt-cache policy lilo
 lilo:
   Installed: 1:23.2-4
   Candidate: 1:23.2-4
   Version table:
  *** 1:23.2-4 0
         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>  $ dpkg --audit
 The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
 configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
 dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
  lilo                 LInux LOader - the classic OS boot loader

 The following packages are missing the md5sums control file in the
 database, they need to be reinstalled:

OK, I tried the whole thing again this morning and lo and behold, this
time aptitude was able to do the update and complete!  Though for
unknown reason, it decided to uninstall acroread.  (Maybe this all has
to do with 32 bit programs?  I have dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
is i386.)

But the reported problem with lilo remains.  Can't reconfigure, can't
reinstall.  I am hesitant to uninstall lilo.