Re: Moderated posts?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:17:28 +0200
lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> writes:
>
> > On 10/17/2014 9:24 PM, lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >> You do not accept messages you can not deliver unless you are
> >> relaying them.
> >
> > Absolutely wrong, this rule fully applies to relays just as it does
> > final destination servers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  How will you know whether messages to a
> particular destination address can be delivered before sending a
> message to that address so that you can decide whether to accept a
> message you're relaying to that address?

I think it's generally an admonishment not to get involved in relaying.
The point of relaying is that the original sender cannot directly reach
the recipient's authoritative mail server, in which case it can't
generally query for recipient validity.

If a relaying server does not hold a list of valid recipients for the
authoritative server, and that's usually difficult to maintain, then it
runs the risk of having to pass an NDR back up the relay line, and if
the original message was spam, then we have NDR spam.

--
Joe